Ycademy Seminar November 24-25, 2012
The recent release of Windows 8 triggers many questions and also some fears relating to switching from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Having followed the Win 8 developments since its early beta stage, we will be able to guide you through the installation and configuration of the new operating system.
What is Windows 8?
Windows 8 is basically Windows 7, just better. Or, Windows 8 is an upgrade of Windows 7 with an interactive touch interface on top giving direct access to applications, tools and online networks, similar to mobile interfaces.
Win 8 is a necessary upgrade if you want to stay tuned into future developments of the way people use the internet and also if you want to synchronize your desktop or laptop with mobile devices using the windows operating system.
Why upgrading now?
Microsoft is running a promo for Win 8 till January 31, whereas you can upgrade your existing XP, Vista or Win 7 system to Windows 8 Pro for USD 39.99.
In most cases the upgrade will be smooth without requiring a re-install of programs and applications. We will discuss known issues and bugs before the upgrade.
Does the Win 8 upgrade justify a 2 days Seminar?
Not really, however the upgrade requires some time in order to make sure all participants have a running system before the Seminar so we will not lose any time with upgrade issues during the sessions.
The following phases of the upgrade will be done before the seminar:
- Run the Upgrade Assistant to find out whether your hardware fulfills the system requirements for Win 8 and which programs or applications are incompatible with Win 8.
(Usually, the only problem is with Security Essentials which will be replaced by Defender coming along with Win 8. If other programs are affected we will sort them out with you on an individual bases.)
- Download the installer and Win 8 and purchase the upgrade.
- Install Win 8 and make sure your computer is connected to the internet and allows you to communicate.
- A short “where is what” Session.
Having said that, we have of course another Seminar Topic up our sleeves:
Getting started with Adobe Illustrator
Illustrator is used namely to produce vector graphics, in contrast to bitmaps which we edit with Photoshop. Vector graphics can be scaled without loss of quality. This is namely important for logos, brand signs, images or graphics which you may want to use in different sizes and supports.
The resulting .ai files can be used directly in InDesign or After Effects for example. Vector graphics are of particular interest for those who produce video output files, apps, responsive web design and printed matters as well.
After getting familiar with the interface, we will produce some first vector graphics and pursue the learning beyond the seminar by dedicating some of our daily sessions to get advanced knowledge of the secrets of AI.
In order to efficiently organize the above mentioned pre-seminar tasks, Bianca will send out a mail announcing the special sessions which will be held for this purpose.
Saturday, November 24, 2012
- Introduction to Windows 8 (Overview, Apps and Tools, Multi-tasking,
- Customize the Start Screen
- Set up devices (Printers, scanners, cameras etc)
- Connect to networks
- Install Apps and Programs
- How to use the clod
- Mail and contact management
- Run programs made for previous Windows versions.
Sunday, November 25, 2012
- Tips and tricks: This is the big How-To session. We will go through 100 Windows features and ways of using Windows: most of them are specific to windows 8. Take advantage of Win 8 to improve your Workflow and do things with your computer you never dreamed of :-).
- Adobe Illustrator: Intro and Overview
- AI: Create your first Vector Graphics
Please announce your intention to participate at the Seminar to Bianca Gubalke at bianca(at)ycademy.com, to enable us to organize the pre-seminar sessions starting Wednesday.
Also, there will be quite some material to download which we will make available as from tomorrow and which we will need at the Seminar: there is namely Windows 8 (3.2 GB) and then there are loads of materials for our Illustrator Workshops, as well as the usual literature.
Usual Discounts for Ycademy Pros – please contact Bianca.